Let me start off today’s post with a confession…I don’t do dirt.
Even though I grew up living in the country I’d consider myself more of an indoorsy kinda girl. Mainly because I am deathly afraid of snakes, big bugs and/or any rodents that come out of no where just to scare you. So, when my mom asked me to help her weed her perennial garden a few years ago this brilliant “I don’t do dirt” comment came out of my mouth. And it sort of stuck…all while continuing to make us laugh about it years later.
You might be wondering how I make my DIY Planted Flower Pots each year since I don’t do dirt…so I thought I’d share that with you today!
My secret to not doing dirt is called… potting mix soil! Which is simply dirt that you buy in a bag from the store. But, to me it really means snake, bug and rodent free 🙂 It’s not what I consider to be “real” dirt. Therefore, I can use it to make my DIY Planted Flower Pots.
Once you have your “dirt” you need some pretty flowers to plant. These are the pretty flowers my sister and I picked out to plant this year.
1. Fill the flower pot with the potting mix soil about 3/4 full. Notice since I don’t do dirt I used a solo cup to fill the pot, because I don’t have a little flower scooping shovel 🙂 Make do with what you have…a solo cup worked for me!
2. Scoop out small holes to plant each of your flowers in using your little garden shovel or solo cup.
3. Break up the roots and soil from the flowers a little with your hands before you plant the flowers in the hole.
4. Then place your flower in the hole and cover the roots with soil.
5. Repeat the steps with each new flower that you add, making sure to spread the flowers out evenly.
6. Water your finished product! It also seems to work for me to add a little Miracle-Gro to my flower pots after they are planted. Just make sure you don’t pour the Miracle-Gro mix directly on the flowers. Keep it in the soil for best results.
Then you have a beautiful DIY Planted Flower Pot to enjoy!
This year since I have been spray painting everything but the kitchen sink, I decided to spray paint my flower pots too. I used Krylon’s Oxford Blue Satin for these pots. Don’t you think the pots look much better!?
Maybe someday I’ll “do dirt” and have my own perennial garden. But, for now I’m sticking with potting mix soil that comes in a bag 🙂
What about you, do you “do dirt”?
Have a great day!
I’ve linked up at: